Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My retinas are burning! My eyes, My eyes!


This recipe from the 1985 cookbook "Betty Crocker Cookbook for Boys and Girls" purports to serve up a cake which, when served with the lights off, will thoroughly spook your party guests.

I think the execution of a spooky cake with flaming eyes would carry a lot more juice if it didn't have that peaceful, benevolent licorice string smile, under the flaming ocular cavities. Then again, it could be a very "Children of the Corn" expression.

"Mama! Mama!" ::with screeching sound accompanying knife stabbing motion::

To make flaming eyes:
Place 2 eggshell halves, round sides down, on the cake, for eyes.
Place 1 sugar cube in each shell.
When ready to light up and serve, pour 1/2 teaspoon of lemon extract (why that flavor, I don't know, but that's the recipe) over each sugar cube, and light up.

Next, I suppose you calm the screaming children, upset that you've blinded Casper the friendly ghost.
Happy Halloween!

8 comments:

  1. That was my first cookbook! OMG! I remember the flaming ghost too.... I so badly wanted to make it, but was vetoed by the adults. This cookbook had a pretzel recipe that was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I had the 1975 version... more grooviness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so clever! It's a shame I didn't read this until after Halloween. I wonder if there's a way to make a flaming Thanksgiving cake... hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha this is so cool! How did you make the hands?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Halloween is so far away, I may have to make this for a birthday or something. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kate! I tried to find your email but I don't see it. I'm being rushed out the door to the dog park before it gets too hot so I may have missed it :)

    I'm trying to find that recipe for you. I don't know why the link doesn't work :( The fresh coconut flesh is wet, but not so wet that it changes the recipe. It just gave it more moisture. Which in my opinion for breakfast bars is good. They can be dry sometimes. As soon as I find the link I will post it :) Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE SHARE YOUR VALUABLE OPINION WITH THE WORLD. INQUIRING MINDS, MOSTLY MINE, WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.